Identità multiculturali Milano 5-6 maggio 2017
“We are living in an age of both harmonization and of dissonance. Never have men had so many things in common – knowledge, points of reference, images, words, instruments and tools of all kinds. But this only increases their desire to assert their differences.”
(Amin Maalouf, L’identità, 1998)
The notion of identity – be it personal, religious, ethnic or national – is important to interculturalists. It is through learning about our own and about the identities of other individuals and groups that we come to know what makes us similar and different.
In a global and multicultural world, individuals and organizations have increasingly multiple identities, asserting different identities in different circumstances and moments in their lives, according to the context and the people they are interacting with. Furthermore, intercultural interactions are ever more frequent, consequently identities are in continuous evolution, and often in conflict.
SIETAR ITALIA has chosen the subject of its 9th conference to be “Multicultural Identities: Understanding the Sense of Belonging”. The objective is to foster greater understanding of these developments and its implication for interculturalists in the areas of education, work, institutions and social matters.
With this conference, SIETAR ITALIA intends to showcase the latest research and explore the ambivalences, fluctuations and modalities which underpin multicultural identities. The conference wants to facilitate a debate amongst practitioners and will be a forum for networking and professional development.
During the conference, artistic projects and exhibitions will contribute to a further re ection on the theme of “Multicultural Identities”.
FRIDAY May, 5 th 2017
12.30 – 14.00 Registration
Opening Welcome & Introduction, Maura Di Mauro – President of SIETAR ITALIA
14.15 – 18.30 – FLUID IDENTITIES IN A MULTICULTURAL WORLD
- The Name, Fame, Tame, Blame, Game: Identity, a matter of vibrant life and violent Death – George Simons
- Identità e concezione del tempo – Marco Croci
- Open identities, Open belongings and Open Affiliations – Carlos A. GonzalezCarrasco
- Identità multiculturale e senso di sé – Possibilità di radicamento vs. Radicalizzazione – Ivana Trevisani
- Experiencing the Complexities of Cultural Identity in Intercultural work – Heather Tobe
- Multiculturalità e formazione manageriale: l’esperienza di MIB Trieste School of Management – Vladimir Nanut
- Youth in search of identity: what antidote against radicalization? – Grazia Ghellini & Aziza Benrhal
18.30 – 19.00 – KEYNOTE SPEECH
19.15 – 21.00 – APERITIF IN THE GARDEN
- Artistic performance: Musei delle culture, dall’oggetto al corpo – Federica Loredan & Maria Camilla De Palma
SATURDAY May 6 th 2017
08.30 – 09.00 Registration
09.00 – KEYNOTE SPEECH
09.30 – 11.30 Parallel session I – Facilitated by Roberto Ruffino
THE ROLE OF EDUCATION IN IDENTITY DEVELOPMENT
- Lo sviluppo della conoscenza di sé mediante la mobilità studentesca – Mattia Baiutti
- Minori stranieri non accompagnati: identità migranti, adolescenze in bilico – Carlo Iato
- Adozione interetnica: multiculturalità nell’identità? Una lettura educativa e interculturale – Stefania Lorenzini
- Le parole per nominare i colori della pelle: conversazioni con alunni di scuola primaria, tra 9 e 11 anni – Margherita Cardellini
- Sguardi meticci: un laboratorio universitario di scrittura collettiva e interculturale – Idriss Amid
- Getting out of the box. Is it a luxury or a necessity? – Noureddine Erradi
09.30 – 11.30 Parallel session II – Facilitated by Maura Di Mauro
BALANCING AND EMBRACING THE VARIOUS DIMENSIONS OF IDENTITY
- Multicultural identities, global citizenship and the cosmopolitan virtues – Gabriel Weibl
- The Way of St. James – Pilgrimage towards a European Identity? – Katharina Maak
- Upheavals in Europe: European identity and crisis solution, “Europe of the 3 Regions” – Christian Ghymers & Mirta Rodriguez Acero
- La comunità cinesi in Puglia, Italia: tempo e identità nel superamento del fattore hanxu – Margherita Sportelli
- “…When you are a professional…” identities of highly educated immigrants in Iceland – Erla S. Kristjánsdóttir
- Kathoeys of Thailand: the transgender position in Thai work environment – Marie-Therese Claes
- Identities of Immigrant Women: Reinventing Selves in America – Fiona Citkin
- Multiculturalism and Macedonian cinematography – the conflict context of the belonging – Sasho Ognenovsk
12.00 – 13.00 – SHARING INSIGHT FROM THE PARALLEL SESSIONS
14.30 – 16.30 – BEYOND STEREOTYPES, DISCRIMINATION AND RADICALIZATION
- The Burkini Debate: Exploring Issues of Identity, Gender and Politics – Ruth Anne Lake
- Matazannafnish: l’arte oltre gli sche(r)mi – identità “egiziana-musulmana” – Monica Macchi
- A battle of symbols: Turkey in a back and forth pendulum swinging between modernism and Islamism – Aysun Akan
- Lessico e discriminazioni: dai media alle leggi – Francesco Romano & Chiara Fioravanti
- Tracce digitali e reti sociali per analizzare e intervenire sui processi di integrazione dei migranti, Marcello Bogetti & Viviana Patti & Cristina Bosco
17.00 – 18.00 – CREATIVE CREATION OF AWARENESS
- “YOU ARE THERE“ – Bilingual monologue – Stage reading – Jane FabuletRoberts
- Patachitra: from Storytelling to Storyboard – Urmila Chakraborty
18.00 – 18.30 – WRAP UP SESSION
Please download the programme (.pdf) here: click here
Thanks to AMI (Associazione Milano Interpreti) there will be simultaneous translation from English into Italian and vice versa. Throughout the conference participants can visit the photo exhibition “Siriani in transito” – www.sirianintransito.com
Prof. Marianella Sclavi
“Humour e identità multiculturale: Un’eterna ghirlanda”
When: 5th of May 2017 | Hour: 06.30 pm
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
All members, friends and sympathizers who have worked on the subject of “Identity” are welcome to propose papers or presentations that shed new light on, but are not limited to the following topics:
- Multicultural and global identities and social challenges
- Multicultural identity and the world of global (team) collaboration
- Diversity Management practices
- Identity issues in the context of education
- Language and cultural identity
- Art and Film works on multicultural identities
All those interested are kindly requested to send their abstracts by completing this template not later than 10th January 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your contribution.
The Scientific Commmittee of IX SIETAR ITALIA Annual Conference 2017.
Maura Di Mauro
We look forward to welcoming you in Milan on May 5th and 6th!
Registration deadline is April 21. Payment options are listed below. (NB: Registration fees are non-refundable)
- Bank transfer. Use the routing number below and send a copy to: email@example.com
Banca Credito Emiliano CREDEM
Include your name and “Registration Congress 2017” in the payment purpose area.
- Credit Card (via PayPal). Click on the “pay now” button under “2017 congress registration”
ISCRIZIONE CONVEGNO 2017
Sostieni le attività di SIETAR Italia con una donazione.
College students and under 30 (2 days) EUR 50,00
Members SIETAR (2 days) EUR 80.00
Non-members EUR 100.00
2017 SIETAR Italy membership and 2017 Congress EUR 160,00
Speaker EUR 45,00
PLAN YOUR TRIP
Home of Italy’s stock exchange, an industrial powerhouse and the internationally accepted arbiter of taste in fashion and design, Milan is a seething metropolis. At times it can seem brash and soulless but beneath the veneer is a serious sense of history and place. The grand Gothic cathedral, the Duomo, lies at the geographical heart of this one-time Imperial Roman capital, and expresses the love of beauty and power that still drives the city today.
Art collections old and new, unparalleled shopping, one of Europe’s biggest trade-fair complexes, sparkling nightlife, the prestige of opera at La Scala, the mark of Leonardo da Vinci’s genius, a religious addiction to football, and endless opportunities to eat the best of Lombard and Italian food make Milan much more than the puritanically work-obsessed city it is often portrayed as.
Sights in Milan
Top choice artwork in Corso Magenta & Sant’Ambrogio
Top choice cathedral in Duomo & San Babila
Top choice gallery in Duomo & San Babila
Top choice museum in Corso Magenta & Sant’Ambrogio
Top choice gallery in Brera & Parco Sempione
Top choice museum in Quadrilatero d’Oro & Porta Venezia
Food and drinks
VENUE – ACQUARIO CIVICO
Civic Aquarium of Milan
Acquario Civico, Viale G. B. Gadio 2
The Civic Aquarium of Milan (Acquario Civico di Milano in Italian) is an aquarium in Milan, Italy, and the third oldest aquarium in Europe. Built in 1905 on the occasion of the Milan World’s fair, It is the only surviving building from the event. Sited on the edge of Sempione Park, the aquarium has over 100 different types of underwater life located in several tanks with a particular attention for the fishes and aquatic vegetation of the Italian seacoasts, lakes, and rivers.
For more information click here.
For accommodations, SIETAR Italy suggests the following places near the conference site:
- Hotel Carlyle **** www.hotelcarlyle.com
- Hotel Ibis Centro *** www.ibis.com
- Hotel Ritter *** www.ritter-hotel.com
- Budget Gogol Ostello Caffè Letterario *** www.gogolostello.milano.com
For the Hotel Carlyle (Brera), SIETAR Italy has arranged a special price for conference participants. To take advantage of this arrangement, send your reservation request to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “CONVENTION DIM SIETAR Italy”.
She teaches Leadership to international Master students in Bocconi University and held faculty appointments in Wiesbaden, Muchen, Bergamo, Shanghai and St. Petersburg. As a professor of Bocconi School of Management (SDA Bocconi) she works mainly with multinational companies designing tailor-made management development programs to facilitate global collaboration. She is co-author of the book “Global Leadership Practices: A Cross-Cultural Management Perspective”.
She is a consultant and trainer, focusing on the development of personal skills and managerial teams, for public and private organizations and multinational corporations. She also collaborates with several Universities. She is currently focusing on issues as Change Management, organizational roles evolution, people management, managerial skills development , also in international settings. Thanks to her expertise in leadership development and Diversity Management, she held several training courses in Algeria, Croatia, and Romania and managed training the trainers courses addressed to professionals from Argentina and China.
Maura Di Mauro
She is an intercultural trainer, coach and consultant. She works with different kind of organizations and industries, designing tailor-made management development programs. She is expert of Diversity & Inclusion process, of competence assessment and development, and of social and sustainable innovation. She is author of the book “Organizzazioni e differenze. Pratiche, Strumenti e Strumenti Formativi”. She is adjunct lecturer of Multicultural Management at the Catholic University of Piacenza.
ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Gradiola Kapaj Communication committee and Volunteer Committee
A congress requires a lot of effort. Have a look at the team behind the SIETAR Italy Congress 2017!
Elvira Elisa Kalaj
Social worker Born in Albania, received a bachelor degree in Intercultural Relations, Planning and Management of Policies and Social Services at the University of Milan. She has worked with various international NGOs on developing projects in Albania and with local associations in Lombardy on social issues (human trafficking, children, persons with disabilities, elderly, etc ..). Since 2003 she works as a social worker for Don Carlo Gnocchi Foundation and since 2010 coordinates international cooperation projects and provides training on intercultural competencies for expatriates.
Elisabeth Elle Weingraber
She is an intercultural trainer, as well as a leadership coach. She worked in 12 countries on 4 continents. Her solid business background combined with her extensive personal expatriate experience benefit her clients which she supports to become more effective in today’s global environment by developing intercultural awareness and competence, enhancing communication skills and accelerating personal development.
Originally from the US, Elizabeth has been in Rome, Italy for over 30 years. With a Masters of Science in Management and experience in international development and global cultural exchange, she is an intercultural specialist, ICF-certified coach and trainer guiding and supporting individuals and teams to succeed in international environments.