“We are living in an age of both harmonization and of dissonance. Never have men had so many things in common – knowledge, points of reference, images, words, instruments and tools of all kinds. But this only increases their desire to assert their differences. ”
(Amin Maalouf, L’identità, 1998)
The notion of identity – be it personal, religious, ethnic or national – is important to interculturalists. It is through learning about our own and about the identities of other individuals and groups that we come to know what makes us similar and different.
In a global and multicultural world, individuals and organizations have increasingly multiple identities, asserting different identities in different circumstances and moments in their lives, according to the context and the people they are interacting with. Furthermore, intercultural interactions are ever more frequent, consequently identities are in continuous evolution, and often in conflict.
SIETAR ITALIA has chosen the subject of its 9th conference to be “Multicultural Identities: Understanding the Sense of Belonging”. The objective is to foster greater understanding of these developments and its implication for interculturalists in the areas of education, work, institutions and social matters.
With this conference, SIETAR ITALIA intends to showcase the latest research and explore the ambivalences, fluctuations and modalities which underpin multicultural identities. The conference wants to facilitate a debate amongst practitioners and will be a forum for networking and professional development.
During the conference, artistic projects and exhibitions will contribute to a further re ection on the theme of “Multicultural Identities”.
FRIDAY May, 5 th 2017
12.30 – 14.00 Registration
Opening Welcome & Introduction, Maura Di Mauro - President of SIETAR ITALIA
14.15 – 18.30 - FLUID IDENTITIES IN A MULTICULTURAL WORLD
- The Name, Fame, Tame, Blame, Game: Identity, a matter of vibrant life and violent Death - George Simons
- Identità e concezione del tempo - Marco Croci
- Open identities, Open belongings and Open Affiliations - Carlos A. GonzalezCarrasco
- Identità multiculturale e senso di sé - Possibilità di radicamento vs. Radicalizzazione - Ivana Trevisani
- Experiencing the Complexities of Cultural Identity in Intercultural work - Heather Tobe
- Multiculturalità e formazione manageriale: l’esperienza di MIB Trieste School of Management - Vladimir Nanut
- Youth in search of identity: what antidote against radicalization? - Grazia Ghellini & Aziza Benrhal
18.30 – 19.00 - KEYNOTE SPEECH
19.15 – 21.00 - APERITIF IN THE GARDEN
- Artistic performance: Musei delle culture, dall’oggetto al corpo – Federica Loredan & Maria Camilla De Palma
SATURDAY May 6 th 2017
08.30 – 09.00 Registration
09.00 - KEYNOTE SPEECH
09.30 – 11.30 Parallel session I - Facilitated by Roberto Ruffino
THE ROLE OF EDUCATION IN IDENTITY DEVELOPMENT
- Lo sviluppo della conoscenza di sé mediante la mobilità studentesca - Mattia Baiutti
- Minori stranieri non accompagnati: identità migranti, adolescenze in bilico - Carlo Iato
- Adozione interetnica: multiculturalità nell’identità? Una lettura educativa e interculturale - Stefania Lorenzini
- Le parole per nominare i colori della pelle: conversazioni con alunni di scuola primaria, tra 9 e 11 anni - Margherita Cardellini
- Sguardi meticci: un laboratorio universitario di scrittura collettiva e interculturale - Idriss Amid
- Getting out of the box. Is it a luxury or a necessity? - Noureddine Erradi
09.30 – 11.30 Parallel session II - Facilitated by Maura Di Mauro
BALANCING AND EMBRACING THE VARIOUS DIMENSIONS OF IDENTITY
- Multicultural identities, global citizenship and the cosmopolitan virtues - Gabriel Weibl
- The Way of St. James - Pilgrimage towards a European Identity? - Katharina Maak
- Upheavals in Europe: European identity and crisis solution, “Europe of the 3 Regions” - Christian Ghymers & Mirta Rodriguez Acero
- La comunità cinesi in Puglia, Italia: tempo e identità nel superamento del fattore hanxu - Margherita Sportelli
- “…When you are a professional…” identities of highly educated immigrants in Iceland - Erla S. Kristjánsdóttir
- Kathoeys of Thailand: the transgender position in Thai work environment - Marie-Therese Claes
- Identities of Immigrant Women: Reinventing Selves in America - Fiona Citkin
- Multiculturalism and Macedonian cinematography – the conflict context of the belonging - Sasho Ognenovsk
12.00 – 13.00 - SHARING INSIGHT FROM THE PARALLEL SESSIONS
14.30 – 16.30 - BEYOND STEREOTYPES, DISCRIMINATION AND RADICALIZATION
- The Burkini Debate: Exploring Issues of Identity, Gender and Politics – Ruth Anne Lake
- Matazannafnish: l’arte oltre gli sche(r)mi - identità “egiziana-musulmana” - Monica Macchi
- A battle of symbols: Turkey in a back and forth pendulum swinging between modernism and Islamism - Aysun Akan
- Lessico e discriminazioni: dai media alle leggi - Francesco Romano & Chiara Fioravanti
- Tracce digitali e reti sociali per analizzare e intervenire sui processi di integrazione dei migranti, Marcello Bogetti & Viviana Patti & Cristina Bosco
17.00 – 18.00 - CREATIVE CREATION OF AWARENESS
- “YOU ARE THERE“ - Bilingual monologue - Stage reading - Jane FabuletRoberts
- Patachitra: from Storytelling to Storyboard - Urmila Chakraborty
18.00 – 18.30 - WRAP UP SESSION
Thanks to AMI (Associazione Milano Interpreti) there will be simultaneous translation from English into Italian and vice versa. Throughout the conference participants can visit the photo exhibition “Siriani in transito” - www.sirianintransito.com
|CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
All members, friends and sympathizers who have worked on the subject of “Identity” are welcome to propose papers or presentations that shed new light on, but are not limited to the following topics:
- Multicultural and global identities and social challenges
- Multicultural identity and the world of global (team) collaboration
- Diversity Management practices
- Identity issues in the context of education
- Language and cultural identity
- Art and Film works on multicultural identities
We look forward to receiving your contribution.
The Scientific Commmittee of IX SIETAR ITALIA Annual Conference 2017.
Maura Di Mauro
We look forward to welcoming you in Milan on May 5th and 6th!
Registration deadline is April 21. Payment options are listed below. (NB: Registration fees are non-refundable)
Banca Credito Emiliano CREDEM
Include your name and "Registration Congress 2017" in the payment purpose area.
2 - Credit Card (via PayPal). Click on the "pay now" button under "2017 congress registration"
- College students and under 30 (2 days) EUR 50,00
- Members SIETAR (2 days) EUR 80.00
- Non-members EUR 100.00
- 2017 SIETAR Italy membership and 2017 Congress EUR 160,00
- Speaker EUR 45,00